Friday, June 15, 2012

Bad Hearing Aids Experience

Photo Taken at Imagineomit.Blogspot.com

After more than 15 years of wearing hearing aids, I made a lot of mistakes of getting the right hearing aids.  Since I am born with a hearing problem, I didn't know how the sounds produce like. My former belief is that all hearing aids are created for producing artificial sounds in the purpose of hearing the speech accurately and better sound loud amplification. And I was terribly wrong!  There are more than that! You know what I did?  In my own stupidity, I keep on purchasing new hearing aids after few years because of my speech dissatisfaction and technical sound problems. So stupid to the point that I never knew there is something wrong in the process of getting the right one. This caused me deafening my ears especially after removing hearing aids.  I heard the long disturbing high-pitch sounds (sort of like tinnitus) and expelling too much air noise out from my ears.  These problems disappear in a couple of days if not wearing hearing aids. Oh well... My anger and frustration grew intensified over the years because of these hearing problems. 

In my conclusion, I decided to go for another hearing aids company this year (2012) for the first time and try another brand.  From there, I found the right hearing aids for me.  I learnt my pain lessons very well. I was not only wasting my money but also wasting my time and effort of finding my own techniques for listening and speech improvement through trials and errors.   






4 comments:

  1. It's always good to get 2nd opinion specially when health is concerned. May all the hearing impared people hear your wonderful voice. Btw what brand of hearing aid works and not work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your reply.

    I cannot suggest which brand is working or not because it is always depended on the preferences of the clients as well as the kinds of hearing loss.

    The trick is to look for a fine sound quality, 4 customized listening programs, and instant fitting type. The sound quality should be finer because it gives the clarity of the sounds and speech. As for the instant fitting type, you can try the product before you buy. Some brands that are customized molded fitting type (based on your ear canal size) are offering to try first before you purchase;however, the main problem is that once you purchase it, the sound is quite different because of the occlusion effect. It is very difficult to fine tuning if there are any occlusion effect. As for the listening programs, you can switch the programs based on the listening lifestyle or environment such as program for theaters, movies, home, etc. :) This is one of the new kind of features in this hearing aids market and only two brands have this- Starkey Otolens and Exsilent.

    In my own research, only Exsilent can fit these descriptions that I am looking for. It has disadvantages too but I still consider it as an option. hope this is help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice that you found the right hearing aids for you. Some people also have the same problems like you. One good advice for the situation is that, if you’re in doubt, seeking help from hearing care professional can be a good move. Consulting experts about it can help you decide what will best fit your hearing problem. And the best part is that you will not waste money on different hearing aids that you think is not right.



    @Rebecca Kavel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca, Thanks so much for reply and you're right but finding the right hearing aids professional is hard to find because not all are really expertise in their fields. It is best to have a second opinion or to find the instant trial of hearing aids fittings first before buying. :)

    ReplyDelete